Monday, December 1, 2008

Another Addiction... The DVR!

The DVR is such a great invention, it truly is. It's hard to imagine how life was before them. Recording with VCR's seems so silly to me now. I used to have a stack of blank tapes ready and I remember how impatient I was when I had to wait for a tape to rewind. The DVR has made TV watching such a breeze but I had no clue how dependent on it I would become.

One day I was in the car and someone had said something funny on the radio but I didn't catch all of it. My first instinct was to grab the remote and hit the rewind button. I laughed it off and have done it several times since then. I realized my dependency was really bad when an instinct was to rewind a conversation I was having with a person who was standing in front of me.

We have recently downgraded from having two DVR's to just one. We gave up our bedroom DVR and have entered a strange world. It's a world I once knew long ago so it's familiar but still strange. I'm talking about your basic cable with no Guide or Info button to tell you instantly what and who you're watching. I ignorantly change the channels trying to find something that looks interesting. It reminds me of when I was younger and would come across a movie that was half way done and when it was over I could not tell you what the name of it was, I could only explain what I saw in hopes that someone else saw it too.

It makes me wonder how the human race would react if we woke up one day and all of our toys were gone. Do you remember the days when you would actually wait until you got home to call someone with your home phone that had no Caller ID? Gasp!

4 comments:

Rachel E. said...

Jackie, you're talking crazy...a world with no caller ID, no DVR, no Hi-Def, no Cell, no PDA, no FBI or CIA, no TNT or CBS, no NKOTB, no CPU or Mickey D's....blasphemy I say, blasphemy!

Speaking of DVR, though, you should totally be DVRing The Mentalist. It's my new favorite show and Patrick Jane (the lead guy) is rather tasty...

adsitc: Jibberish spoken by the remote Manunu tribe of South Central Katmandu.

Katy said...

I haven't gotten in to the DVR craze (yet)! What will they come up with next?!

Ashley said...

This blog almost makes me happy I'm poor and broke...No fancy DVR for me! I am that channel surfing fool! Although I have become rather fond of/dependent upon Rachel's DVR during the Project Runways seasons!

Courtney said...

I know exactly what you mean- I DIVO everything- it makes life wonderul!